Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My 8 month old great dane has an ongoing yeast infection in

Customer Question

my 8 month old great dane has an ongoing yeast infection in one of her ears, i have been to 2 vets and have used steriods along with antibiotics, 2 rounds of a treatment the vet put in that is yellow and thick, ear cleaner from a vet along with an ointment. where do i go from here??? she is on meds now and it isnt getting better, please help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern for her.
A few points. As a educated guess, this is not just a yeast infection. Second, the bacteria may be a resistant bug like pseudomonas. Happens all of the time!
So, what to do next?
I would do maybe two things.
1. Have a ear cytology performed in the hospital to see if there is yeast and bacteria still present. If so, then I would request a aerobic culture test.
It's not cheap, but will be well worth it.
The ear culture will grow whatever bacteria is present and tell the vet the best antibiotic choices to kill it. Very important with infections that do not appear to be resolving.
Also, in addition to a change in medication based on culture results, ask about a cleaner that is also medicated. An example would be Malacetic Ultra. The cleaner, itself, has a weak steroid and a antiyeast medication in it.
Another concern is concurrent allergies causing the chronic ear problem. At this age, either environmental or food allergies are a consideration.
If your vet isn't familar with doing ear cultures or doesn't agree with the plan, you'll need to get a third opinion! From who?
A dermatology specialist for sure.
Find a Dermatologist
--> Then select "find dermatologist"
Good Luck!
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?