Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is vomiting and foaming at the mouth. I believe he chewed…

Customer Question
My dog is vomiting and...
My dog is vomiting and foaming at the mouth. I believe he chewed a hydrangea stick from last years blooms I cut off
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/7/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 3 years ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern for Sunny.
Well, as you are likely already aware, Hydrangea is toxic to pets. Its toxic principle is the cyanide intoxication, which can cause bad gastrointestinal symptoms.
So, considering he is even foaming at the mouth, I would strongly recommend an ER vet visit. I can suggest an antacid below, but that is not sufficient therapy for Sunny.
To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.
A vet can prescribe far better anti-vomiting medication like Cerenia, medication to help heal any ulceration in the mouth, esophagus or stomach.
Good Luck!