Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog staggers and his head is tilted, lithargic,will not

Customer Question
eat, but he will drink...
my dog staggers and his head is tilted, lithargic,will not eat, but he will drink a little water occasionally. diagnoses and treatment? I do not see anything in his ears.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/6/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 2 years ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
This sounds quite concerning. The head tilt, staggering are highly suspicious to indicate a vesitbular nerve problem. The vestibular nerve can be affected as it passes through the inner ear or primarily in the brainstem.However, a primary brain lesion could also lead to staggering and neurological signs. This is a problem that really does indicate a veterinary visit is indicated. Your vet needs to look for evidence of ear infection/disease and then treat that appropriately and also rule out a primary brain (cerebral) problem. There is medication that can help if this is a vestibular nerve problem.
Most commonly if this is vestibular then it is caused by vestibular syndrome which is of often unknown cause. It usually improves on its own over 3-7 days (sometimes 3 weeks) but dogs are quite ill (naueasted, staggering) during that recovery. Medication can really help this nausea. I do not see any indication right now for penicillin.
I feel uncomfortable recommending any over-the-counter product as this could worsen the situation, depending on what is going on (primary cerebral versus vesicular).
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified