Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dr Dave, our dog is suffering from stage 4 kidney disease

Customer Question
Dr Dave, our dog...
Dr Dave, our dog is suffering from stage 4 kidney disease as well as pancreatitis. We have tried the medicinal route with subcutaneous fluids but the little guy doesn't seem to be responding well. He is eating renal faiure food, Hills Kidney Care, which he hates. We have to literally make burritos and put it inside of bread. While kidney disease allows for low protein with somewhat higher fats, pancreatitis allows for high protein and lower fats. Now we are in a bind! Would egg whites or sweet potatoes work? He won't even eat the burritos anymore unfortunately, but if another dog's food is out, he will try to gobble it up and still loves his treats. Therefore, his appetite is still intact. Thanks in advance. We look forward to hearing from you!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/6/2015
Dog Veterinarian: benedetta7, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
benedetta7
benedetta7, Veterinarian
Hello, this is Dr. Benedetta, and I would like ti help you with your question.
Keeping in mind that pancreatitis can kill him faster and be more painful than kidney disease, it would be best to stay away from fats.
Acute pancreatitis, or a flare up of chronic pancreatitis can be very dangerous!
Restricting protein is indicated for kidney disease, but not if that causes the patient to not eat at all. There are other prescription kidney diets that you can try for him, made by Royal CAnine, and even others, or other flavors of the Hills brand.
In the meantime, sweet potatoes,and egg whites will be fine. Rice and pasta will also be fine, fish, and cottage cheese are low fat protein that can be used in moderation.
sometimes for these guys, a home made balanced diet, can be the best thing, and your veterinarian can help you making a balanced diet.
SQ fluids are really what will help the most with the kidneys, too bad Boston is not tolerating that!
Other things that are useful in kidney failure are gastro-protectants (like pepcid AC), phosphorus binders and Epatikin, a supplement that will support kidney function.
hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions!
It is good that Boston has still a good appetite, so you can work with him to find a food that he will eat, and will not cause further damage
benedetta7
benedetta7
benedetta7, Veterinarian