Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Have 9 month old toy poodle with what vet states is a bad conformation

Customer Question
both back legs with some...
Have 9 month old toy poodle with what vet states is a bad conformation both back legs with some pop out and I have to try to place back. What should be done only weighs 7 pd
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/6/2015
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 2 years ago
jadedangel57
JaCustomer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
It sounds like you are referring to an hock (ankle) dislocation or luxation rather than a luxating patella (knee) which happens quite often. Hock instability and luxation is often due to injury such as being stepped on or having the paw caught in a fence, stair or other small area. Surgical correction can help this situation. Read more on this here:
http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/ortho_hock_instability.htm
Luxating patella is when the knee pops in and out of joint. The more often it pops out, the easier it will pop out in the future. The following explains this:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1569&articleid=457
http://petsurgery.com/medialpatellarluxation.html
The following site goes over the surgery to correct this.
http://vetsurgerycentral.com/patella.htm
There are braces available for both the hock and knee joint that can be used to help stabilize them. You can see these braces on the following pages.
http://orthodog.com/index.cfm/products/hock-holder/
http://www.dogleggs.com/tarsal/
http://www.mypetsbrace.com/
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.
Hi Tammy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner