Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My pet rat is almost 2. She has sores that have scabed

Customer Question
Hi, my pet rat is...
Hi, my pet rat is almost 2. She has sores that have scabed over. she keeps scratching them. I thought about giving her an oatmeal bath. She seemed to get these when I changed her bedding..
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/6/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Those sores are often due to the fur mite Radfordia and/or ulcerative dermatitis caused by Staph aureus alone or associated with fur mite infestation. A rodent-oriented vet can skin scrape Cupcake looking for the mite and, if found, treat her with selamectin (Revolution) at 15 mg/kg as a topical spot on, repeated in 10 days. An ulcerative dermatitis is treated by clipping the toenails of the hind paws, cleaning the ulcerated skin with over the counter chlorhexidine (Hebiclens), and applying a topical antibiotic such as Neosporin or Polysporin twice daily. I don't believe that her bedding should be incriminated in those sores.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I have to leave my computer for the night but I promise to reply in the morning if need be.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian