Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is a nearly 15 year old mutt. I noticed two skin abnormalities…

Customer Question
My dog is a nearly...
My dog is a nearly 15 year old mutt. I noticed two skin abnormalities on her recently. I am not sure when they appeared. One is on her neck, and today I noticed it is much more loose than it was the 1st time I saw it. I believe it may be a "skin tag", like in humans.
The other growth is on the left side of her front left leg. It is mainly a dark brownish color, and it looks somewhat like a prune I guess. I'm more worried about this one, as it's dark and looks more out of place on her
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/6/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your 15 year old girl Marley who has a couple of skin masses that you have noticed recently. There are a number of things these lumps could be. It certainly sounds like a papillomatous growth (or skin tag) on her neck, however it would still be worth getting your vet to have a look at this next time you have your girl in the clinic.
The mass on the left forelimb sounds like more of a concern however. This could be anything from a benign mass (like a histiocytoma or basal cell tumor) to a malignant mass (like a melanoma or sarcoma). For this reason, I would definitely recommend getting this mass checked by your local vet. The best next step here is for your vet to get a sample from this mass using a needle. This is a procedure called an FNA or Fine Needle Aspirate which is a quick, easy and painless procedure that can be carried out with no anaesthetic and Marley completely awake! A needle is inserted in to the lump, a syringe is used to 'aspirate' cells in to the needle hub, and then these are then placed on to a micrscope slide and sent to a pathologist for analysis. Many times a diagnosis can be gained via this FNA procedure. From this diagnosis your Vet will be able to tell you what needs to be done next, whether that is to monitor the mass or remove it under a full general anaesthetic.
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Hi again,
I thought I would follow up again quickly on your girl Marley. I'm not sure if you would have had a chance to follow up with your vet as yet? When you do, it would be good to hear what the diagnoses are.
Kind Regards,
Dr E