Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has enlarged liver and my vet prescribed ursodiol,cerenia,omeprazole,

Customer Question
Hi my dog has enlarged...
Hi my dog has enlarged liver and my vet prescribed ursodiol,cerenia,omeprazole, amoxi,marin canine and s adenosyl given now for two weeks and no improvement, stomach still swollen and hard as a rock. Should I try some milk thistle for dogs now? My dog is a toy poodle and weighs approx. 8 lbs. and her blood test are normal. Thank You, Kathryn
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/6/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Kathryn, you can certainly add more milk thistle (silymarin is milk thistle) to her S-adenosyl-methionine (Denosyl) but I'm concerned that if you haven't seen a positive response to that battery of drugs and neutraceuticals two weeks later, there's something going on in her liver that won't respond to its addition. The next diagnostic of choice is an ultrasound-guided needle biopsy of her liver in an attempt to clarify the etiology of her hepatopathy. Surgical exploration of her abdomen is preferred but, of course, more invasive as well.
Can you tell me, please, which symptoms prompted the prescription of those drugs? I would have expected abnormal liver enzymes (at least). Can you upload a copy of her test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but her vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.
I have the records from his blood work can you please send me your e-mail so I can send his paper work to you. Thanks, Kathryn
Kathryn, I'm not allowed to correspond with you outside of this venue. You can send the records to***@******.*** who will send them along to me, however. That can take up to 24 hours but I promise to reply as soon as I review them.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian