Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have the same issue but it's too late to induce vomiting.

Customer Question

I have the same issue but it's too late to induce vomiting. He ate it last night. Can I give him mineral oil to help him pass it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response, but your requested expert isn't online which delayed your question coming up on the list for all to answer. I would like to help if you are still interested in an opinion.
am sorry to hear that your fellow Sandee ingested something he should not have last night. What did your fellow eat?
If it has been more than 3 hours or he ate something sharp then inducing vomiting is not recommended.
But I don't recommend mineral oil. Should he fight taking it or vomit after taking it the oil can easily be aspirated (breathed in) into the lungs which could cause a horrible pneumonia. Vaseline being thicker and heavier rarely causes that problem.
As long as he isn't vomiting and continues to eat there are some things we can do.
To help get foreign material to pass I recommend starting with a vaseline sandwich. It sounds like this is something you have already done. This adds fiber and hopefully makes the foreign body slip rather than catch.
For the next few days, until the material passes, he'll need to be fed a bland diet with lots of fiber added in small meals several times a day, 4 to 6 meals is ideal. We do this so the pieces are surrounded and pushed through his intestinal tract. 
A homemade diet for this is 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice. Add 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber.
You'll need to check his stools frequently for the whatever he ate in the next few days.
Signs that things aren't going well, and he needs an immediate veterinary visit, are vomiting, a tense painful belly, lack of an appetite, a fever (more than 103.5F rectally) and lethargy.
If you aren't seeing the foreign body in the next day or two a veterinary visit and an abdominal radiograph to see where it is is an option. If it doubt at all that things aren't going well it is always best to have him checked.
Once the foreign body is passed and he's feeling well then start mixing in his regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get him converted back to regular food.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hi Annie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sandee. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara