Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My name is ***** ***** 9 year old German shepherd had a

Customer Question
Hi, my name is *****...
Hi, my name is ***** ***** 9 year old German shepherd had a scrotal ablation 10 days ago. He had some drainage (pink fluid, no pus) from one stitch that healed up 3 days ago. I see than now there is some pink bubbly tissue around that area ( the rest of the wound is closed and nice) that seems to be granulation tissue ( 2 small granules of about 2 mm in diameter) I wonder if it is safe to have the stitches removed now, or to wait until the granulation is gone.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/5/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Karing, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Hi there,I'mCustomerand would be glad to help with your question about your dog.
OK, thank you
Is is possible for you to seen an image of the incision?
I don't have one here.
Okay, let me ask you a few questions instead. Is the incision moist at all? Is there redness except at the 2mm pink areas you described? Is your dog wearing an e-collar?
He has been wearing a collar since the day of the surgery, I only take it off to take him out to the bathroom and eat. The rest of the incision is not red, it looks totally closed and healed. The area that is closed is not moist, it looks like normal skin, the pink area is moist.
I would leave the single suture in at the pink area until it no longer appears moist or 14 days whichever comes first. This is simply a precaution since the area sounds like it may not be fully healed yet. The remainder of the sutures can be removed. Continued use of the e-collar until the last suture is able to come out is advised.
OK. Do you recommend any topical treatment?
I am not a fan of ointments at surgical incisions since they are sticky and cause debris to adhere to the site. They are also occlusive to the pores of the skin. It works for humans since we have a greater capacity to keep the area clean but not for dogs. I would simply monitor the site and only clean it if necessary (visibly soiled). After you do take that last suture out, I'd leave the e-collar on for a day or so and then monitor your dog closely when you take it off. The areas where sutures were recently removed (i.e. 24 hours or so) may be sensitive and your dog may start to lick there.
OK, thank you for your help
You're welcome. Did you have any further questions about your dog's neuter incision that I can help with?
That was all, you were very helpful
I'm glad I could help. Please let me know if you have any questions at a later day. You can simply click on "Reply to Expert" to resume this thread. Thanks so much!!!
Sure, have a good day
You too and a great weekend!!!