Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Earlier my male dog 5 years old. earlier he pooped brown/yellow,

Customer Question
hi! earlier my male dog...
hi! earlier my male dog 5 years old. earlier he pooped brown/yellow, and then hours later shaked and then a while ago he like couldn't breathe or what humans call hyperventilate. is he okay?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/5/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your 5 year old Cocker boy Shadow, who has had a period of shaking and difficulty breathing. There are quite a number of possible causes for this behavior in your boy including anything from anxiety and stress, to a primary cardiorespiratory issue. Hopefully he has settled down now, however whatever the case, I would definitely encourage you to continue to keep an eye on your boy for another hour or two yet if you can.
To monitor his condition, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:
Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.
Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.
Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet. Likewise - if this 'hyperventilating' seems to occur again this evening - play it safe and have him checked over by your local ER Vet.
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
he's been coughing (like when a person needs a glass of water) a lot lately (he did it last night) and haven't shook since a couple of weeks ago.....
There are a number of potential causes for this issue, but if he has been coughing as well, it is much more likely he genuinely has a respiratory issue rather than this being due to anxiety or stress.
This coughing and breathing issue could be due to anything from heart or lung worm, asthma, canine infectious cough (aka kennel cough) or another primary respiratory problem.
If your boy seems to have any difficulty at all breathing tonight, then get him straight down to your local ER vet. These issues aren't worth taking any risks on.
Best of luck,
Dr E
Hi again,
I thought I would just check in quickly to see how you are getting on with Shadow. Hopefully his breathing and coughing has improved, or if not - hopefully you managed to get him seen by your local vet.
It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Hi Melissa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Shadow. How is everything going?

Pet Doc