Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My small dog has an open wound on the upper left side lip.

Customer Question
My small dog has an...
My small dog has an open wound on the upper left side lip. He keeps scratching it which seems to make the wound bigger. What remedy should I use.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/5/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your 7 year old mix breed boy Sinis who has a wound on the upper left side of his lip. There are a few things this could be (and perhaps you know?) including anything from a traumatic bite or injury, an ulcer or even a local skin reaction. If the wound is quite big, or has been bleeding, then you are best to get veterinary attention for your boy today, or first thing tomorrow if you can. It could be that the wound is big enough to require suturing.
Whatever the case, you will need to stop your boy from scratching the wound - that is the main issue here. The best bet for this is to get him a elizabethan collar (e-collar). You can purchase these from your local pet store or vet clinic. If you can get one of these tonight, that would be ideal. The more he scratches at the wound, the worse it will become.
As the wound could be caused by a number of potential issues, you need to be careful what you put on it. If it isn't very big, then just gently wiping the wound with warm salty water is the best bet. This is very safe as well given the wound is right by his mouth. To do this, just mix 1 teaspoon of salt per cup of luke warm water. You can then use this on some cotton wool to gently dab the wound. The salty water can help the wound to dry out and contract.
If the wound is really irritating your boy, then (as above) I really would encourage you to get him seen today or first thing tomorrow morning if you can. Here your vet can decide whether any surgery is needed, and prescribe treatment including antibiotics if necessary.
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Hi again,
I thought I would just check in to see how you get getting on with Sinis' lip wound? Hopefully it is look ok and starting to heal.
It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian