Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My boxer is 8 and had a 105 fever but wbc was 17, she is breathing

Customer Question

My boxer is 8 and had a 105 fever but wbc was 17, she is breathing hard and there is blood coming out her mouth, now her wbc is 59? Why would it jump so fast
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 2 years ago.
Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Sammy. This sounds very concerning and I am glad to hear she is at the vet getting treatment. The WBC jumped suddenly due to a release of inflammatory cells into her blood stream to fight the infection that is present in her body. With blood coming out of her mouth it sounds possible that she could have severe pneumonia. Hopefully your vet has done x rays of the chest and abdomen to look for the infection. Hopefully she is also on IV antibiotics and fluid therapy to help treat this infection. Usually using two different antibiotics to cover all possible types of infection is best. This is an aggressive treatment and hopefully with treatment and support her body will fight this off. But again the WBC count jumps due to the bodies reaction to infection and inflammation and can occur within a few hours. We can see dramatic swings in levels in severe infections.
I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time.