Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog is constipated and it is painful . He is a 9

Customer Question

My dog is constipated and it is painful for him. He is a 9 pound toy poodle, 15 years old. He recently had a urinary tract infection, that was treated and cured. We left him with a family member (in our home) for 10 days while on vacation and came home to feces all over the house as well pee. He has been having accidents since then (Sunday we got home). Just now, I took him out and he is in obvious pain and cannot deficate. I massaged his abdomen and back end to no avail. What can I do? I have stool softener, but don't know the amount.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please don't administer anything to him at this time. His straining (tenesmus) is just as likely to represent an irritated bowel/rectum which will result in diarrhea as it does constipation. The length of time he's remained symptomatic should prompt a visit to his vet. He's an advanced geriatric and doesn't have the reserve of a much younger dog. His abdomen needs to be palpated (felt) and a rectal exam performed. His vet is likely to recommend diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests as well.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Hi Judy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chipper. How is everything going?