Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Doctor My dog suddenly become weak and not able to walk.

Customer Question
Hi doctor My dog suddenly become...
Hi doctor
My dog suddenly become weak and not able to walk. Sysptoms inclde
1) Weekness
2) Vomiting
3) Only drinking water
Not eating any solids.
Regards
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/4/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- Did you get the blood results back from your vet?
2- Is he currently on any medications?
3- Is he able to walk?
4- Did he get into anything?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
No Doctor havent recieved the lab results. Not on any medications. He is slowly walking but not active , just laying flat on his belly .
1- How often is he vomiting?
2- Is he currently receiving any supportive care?
3- How much does he weigh?
4- How long has it been since the last time he vomited?
Only when he drinks water. he being cared by my parents
few hours since he vomited. i am not sure about his weight.As per the vet all is ok but i just want a secound openion.
Friend, in a young dog with the symptoms that you are describing can be related to many different types of medical conditions that affect dogs. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination. But, common causes are: Ingestion of a foreign body, infections, toxicity, pancreatitis, etc. to name a few causes.
I would recommend you phone your family veterinarian for the blood results. If the blood work is normal the next step would be to take abdominal xrays to rule out things like a foreign body. Pending the lab/xray results I would recommend you discuss with your veterinarian about starting him on supportive care of: IV fluids, anti emetics, etc. In the meantime this is what you can tell your parents to do:
1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours; Or, you can give Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC or Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian as described above.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian