Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My ***** ***** is having puppies now the 2 is still born…

Customer Question
My ***** ***** is having...
My ***** ***** is having puppies now the 2 is still born will she have more naturally
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/4/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
How long has she been in labor?
Do you know how many puppies she has? Did you do pre-natal x-rays?
How long ago was the last puppy born?
About 7 hours but she only had her puppy 2 hours ago
No to X-rays and we don't know how many we live in a remote area
Ok thanks.
My general rule during whelping, is that I want to have a puppy out within 1-2 hours of contractions. There can be breaks between puppies that can last 2-4 hours, but once contractions start back up again, they should have the puppy out fairly quickly.
If the last puppy was 2 hours ago and she's still contracting, then it's been too long. In that case, I would opt for a c-section to get the puppies out. I also prefer a c-section when we have multiple dead puppies. Dead puppies do not secrete Cortisol. It is the puppy secreting cortisol that stimulates the uterus to continue contracting.
The chance of live puppies after 2 dead goes down significantly. Dead puppies in the uterus will contain bacteria and they are at increased risk of early placental separation. The safest and best option here is to get to a vet and do a c-section.
As to how many more are in there, it's just a guess right now. It could be none, it could be 1, it could be 5+. Without x-rays, we just don't know.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.