Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My border collie has been throwing up off and on last

Customer Question

My border collie has been throwing up off and on for the last 5 hours. She ate some curry and rice out of the garbage early this morning so maybe that's it. What she's bringing up looks like thick white bubbly soap. Now she's having trouble standing up. She's pooped several times, too. I don't have a car to take her to the ER Vet. Please advise
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern for her.
At this age, and for you to describe her as now having difficulty standing is a veterinary emergency. Even if I recommend an antacid below to help settle her stomach, her current condition could be life-threatening. How?
Well, she could be developing stomach bloat or stomach torsion (when the stomach twists). Also, there is a very real concern for pancreatitis, which can also be quite painful and more serious then just having gastritis.
So, my first and really only recommendation is to get a family member or friend to help get her to a ER vet.
Please keep in mind, any antacids I suggest below is by no means sufficient therapy for her condition. She needs an ER vet.
To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.
I would not try to offer food for at least 12 hours, and don't bother with water for at least another 4+ hours or as directed by a veterinarian.
Remember! I cannot examine her, and therefore, please do not take my suggestion to give an antacid as a replacement for veterinary care because I am worried about her. I wish I could do more. Good Luck!
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?