Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I took my dog to the vet because his right dew claw was angled…

Customer Question
i took my dog to...
i took my dog to the vet because his right dew claw was angled out and appeared to be swollen. The vet x-rayed it and determined it was dislocated. The vet indicated it would heal on its own but never be the same. The vet prescribed Rimadyl for the pain and inflammation. The vet also indicated their was no way to set it back in place. It has been 4 days now and the dew claw is still angled. I've also read on-line that other people have popped their dogs dislocated dew claw back in place. So can the dew claw be popped back in place? Should I wrap it? Thanks
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/4/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
It sounds like the dewclaw has a dislocation between two of the toe bones. We can sometimes push it back into place. If it stays, then it should scar together. A mild compression bandage would help with pain while it heals. It should be unwrapped and replaced once daily.
Personally, I would just remove the dewclaw surgically. That is my treatment of choice for these injuries. It's a quick and easy surgery to remove the dewclaw. It's also curative at that point. I would discuss that option with your vet and see if it may be a better choice here.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ice. How is everything going?
He's doing great. We participated in a flyball tournament over the weekend, so I wrapped his forelegs with vet wrap to protect his carpal pads and dew claws and he did not seem to experience any pain. The injured dew claw still looks angled a bit though but he doesn' seem to be in pain from it anymore.
Good, I'm glad he's doing well. It can take some time to heal completely, but I'm glad he's not experiencing any pain.