Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

3week old significant runt of litter has not opened eyes yet.

Customer Question

3week old significant runt of litter has not opened eyes yet. Right eye was matted today. Should we be concerned ??? What to do ??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern for Bullett.
I believe it is absolutely critical to get in to a vet for evaluation. This is far too long, by weeks, for the eyes not to be opening. In addition, you are observing the right eye matted, which would suggest an irregular discharge from the eye. So, I have to be very suspicious for a possible congenital eye problem and/or eye infection.
Definitely, cannot be managed at home. We would have no over the counter remedy suitable in this situation. I do feel this is well worth the vet visit.
The vet will need to get a good look at both eye globes and will likely start some eye medication. If there is a concern for any malformation of either eye, a referral to a veterinary ophthalmic specialist could be made.
Good Luck!