Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Regarding fleas on dogs, is a product with pyrethrims and exthoxylpyridine…

Customer Question
Regarding fleas on dogs, is...
Regarding fleas on dogs, is a product with pyrethrims and exthoxylpyridine effective?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/3/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
Pyrethrins are one of the more effective flea killing methods on the market but it depends on the actual product. There still needs to be a carrier method -- for example when frontline is applied between the shoulders, it is transferred throughout the skin through the glands. If another topical with the same active ingredient does not have the carrier method in it, it will not be effective. Flea collars are not effective unless they also have a carrier method such as the Seresto collar. Is there a specific product you were looking at?
Pyriproxyfen which is the abbreviate name of the second compound you mentioned is found in Advantage/Advantix, which is effective in killing fleas if used on the monthly basis.
Hartz Ultra Guard Plus collars and I'm considering spraying Advantage teatment spray for dogs with Pytrethrims and ethxylpyridine
or collar Hartz Ultra (not Plus with second ingredient)
I do not have good luck with the Hartz collars or topicals. It is about 50/50 effective. The advantage sprays work well for treating the household. The spray that is applied directly to the dogs is harder to properly dose then the topical so there is more room for failure due to incorrect dosing amount.
It adult dogs, the spray also has to be done on a weekly basis, as opposed to monthly for the topical version.
Frontline can be purchased over the counter as well as advantage. Although frontline does not guarantee their over the counter product like the do when it is from a vet, it still has a better success rate than other OTC varieties. My personal variety is still the seresto collar though
Do you have questions about that information?
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lady And Maya. How is everything going?
Dr. Emily
Still fighting but only on very small areas where they are scratching, but much less ofTen. I am going to change the collars from Hartz to advantage or Frontline, depending on which I can find.