Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 80lb 10month old pit destroyed a bottle of Benadryl

Customer Question
my 80lb 10month old pit...
my 80lb 10month old pit bull destroyed a bottle of Benadryl a lot of pills in side the bottle and on floor doesn't appear to have eaten any how concerned should I be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/3/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Zeus. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
Benadryl has a pretty wide margin of safety. Drowsiness is the usual symptom we see if a dog gets too much. How long ago did this happen?
If you had to estimate, worst case scenario, what is the maximum number of pills you think he might have eaten? Were they 25 mg Benadryl?
I've counted almost all the pills I don't think he had more than one there were 20 in the bottle and I've counted another 66 in the bag. It was out of 100 and I know there are a bunch loose that I put right in the garbage can. Yes they were 25mg. Worst case 2-3? Hasn't started acting sleepy or anything.
No problem! If I were going to tell you to use this as an antihistamine if he had an allergic reaction to something, I would have told you to give him 3 or 4 of this strength Benadryl. If he ate 3 of them, 75 mg, you probably won't even see him be drowsy.
It will last 6 to 8 hours, and you probably won't see any side effects.
Let me know what other questions you have.
Is there anything else I can answer or help with? Let me know how he is doing.
Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with updates after rating.
Colin,
How is Zeus today?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian