Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 10 lb Pomeranian dog got a very few drops of grape jam…

Customer Question
my 10 lb Pomeranian dog...
my 10 lb Pomeranian dog got a very few drops of grape jam is it going to hurt him
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/3/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
If Oliver has just had a few drops, then the risk of harm is very low.
The reason is because jam actually contains very little grape. It is usually made with grape juice (which will be mostly water by the time it is processed). Therefore, if he has had just a few drops, you can consider rinsing his mouth out with cool water to flush out any jam residue.
Furthermore, since he refuses to vomit for you, you can instead consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much he absorbs and reduce the intoxication risk here.
Overall, in this situation, grape jam wouldn't be nearly as worrisome as grapes or raising. Therefore, I would advise rinsing his mouth to remove any lingering jam and consider using activated charcoal to just bind any that may have gotten into his stomach. Otherwise, we'd need to keep an eye that he doesn't start drinking or urinating more nor that his urine becomes dilute. Any hint of this and we'd need to consider a check with his vet +/- a blood sample to assess his kidney function. But again this is a small dose of a product that contains very little raw grape, so his risk of overall quite low.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )