Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 9 y/o pug that is having stress seizures to the…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a 9...
Hi, I have a 9 y/o pug that is having stress seizures to the point that he litterally dies for up to 4 minutes. It takes putting my fingers in his throat and shaking him to get him to come around. Tonight was a terrible episode where I was sure he was gone. It started with a fight over a treat with one of my other pugs.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/3/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'm concerned that you're not seeing seizures but, instead, syncopal ("fainting") episodes when Jak is stressed. Stressors can certainly induce seizures but "literally dying" is more suggestive of an arrhythmia (irregular heart rate) such as third degree heart block.
Please have Jak's vet listen to Jak's heart at your earliest convenience and Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian