Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has a cysts that has opened and it did have an odor,

Customer Question
and bleed what can i...
my dog has a cysts that has opened and it did have an odor, and bleed what can i clean it with and will it close on it's pwn?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/3/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now cysts can be very frustrating. The cells lining the inside of the cyst will be the source of the fluid within. And as they overproduce the cyst fluid, it will rupture as you are seeing here. And while in regards ***** ***** question, it will heal on its own, we have to be aware that over time it will refill and do this again.
That said, at this stage and especially if there is an odor (since infection is a complication that can lead to an abscess developing), we need to tread with care and start some first aid for this open cyst. To start, we'd want to start by bathing this open rupture tissue with a mild antiseptic (either chlorohexidine or iodine, both should be diluted to a weak tea like color) or salt water (1tbsp to a pint warm water). This should be done a 2-3 times a day, and any discharges should be washed away. If she is amenable, you can also use a syringe (wo/ a needle) to flush the inside of the open cyst. And if you see her chewing or licking this all, she will need an e-collar (from your vets or pet store) +/- cover it with a sock (since its breathable and will let it dry out) to protect that wound while it heals.
As well, if there is an odor but no obvious pus, you can apply OTC antibiotic cream (ie Neosporin) after you bathe the area. Of course, if you were to see pus, then antibiotics from her vet would be indicated to clear that.
Overall, cysts can be frustrating because they will cause this situation repeatedly due to the nature of the cells inside. Therefore, we find that we either need to manage them when they rupture, potentially have it drained by her vet regularly, or remove them if they are causing her both. But that all said, we'd want to use the above approach at this stage if it has opened.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet