Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a mix dog Shih Tzu,poodle, Chihuahua she is 6 years…

Customer Question
I have a mix dog...
I have a mix dog Shih Tzu,poodle, Chihuahua she is 6 years old and about 2 weeks ago she had her third litter she was acting normal and one moment to the next she was walking funny and she was falling on the floor she's breathing very fast with her tongue out I'm pretty sure she had a stroke or she's having one still I read that sometimes it could take up a hours its been about 3 hours now and she gets up walks a little before falling again the fast breathing still going on I'm giving her ice and water keeping her comfortable but her puppies are hungry what should I do? can she still breastfeed?please help Thanks
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/3/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

While we can see collapse in dogs having strokes or those with heart issues, I wouldn't assume this is the case with Zoe. Instead, my major concern for her is that she could be suffering form eclampsia or low blood calcium. This is a common issue in lactating mother dogs in the weeks after giving birth. Small breeds seem to be very prone to this and it can be fatal if not treated. The reason we see this is because she is pouring her body's calcium reserves into her pups and their milk. And if she doesn't have enough, this leads to problems with muscle use --which is important for her moving but also key for breathing and keeping her heart beating.

With all this in mind and with her so severely affected already, I must say that we'd want to have her seen urgently and without delay. Her local vet can test a blood sample to tell us if her calcium is in the danger zone and how much so. And as this needs urgent treatment, they can give injectable calcium. Afterwards, she can be started on oral calcium treatments (but we'd not do so here since it would be too slow to stop these signs at this point). And if her signs are severe or she has relapses despite treatment, you would need to remove the pups for hand rearing to reduce their drain on mum.

Overall, we do have a serious worry for her signs. Therefore, we would want to be proactive and help your lass quickly. So, in this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check HERE and @ http://www.vetlocator.com/.

Please take care,
DR. B.