Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a da should he's 11 Dude. He was just seen by our…

Customer Question
I have a da should...
I have a da should he's 11 Dude.
He was just seen by our vet with his first ear infection. Gave him a shot and ear drops and prednisone finished the meds. Was done with meds 2 days ago. Now he only pooped a very little once yesterday. Ear infection seems like it's back and yelps after he eats a little and moved around. Then crys. He will pee fine but not poop. Given him some natural dog stool softener pumpkin and other natural ingredients. And have cleaned his ears with a natural at cleaner with witch hazel aloe tea tree oil That was brought on board today first round at 3:00pm. Ear cleaner and 2 tabs of chewable stool softner Now for my other thought. Seems a back issue the way he acts. Only had I episode 3 yrs ago. None since. Not too over weight. He's 16 lbs vet said could lose about 1 lb or Even just 1/2 lb. so he's very active on a day to day basis. Want to know what to do. Budget is tight but will do whatever I need too do. Please help
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/3/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 3 years ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
This sounds quite concerning for Dude.
First, with the ear infection, he needs this reassessed by his vet. There is no over-the-counter miracle for this. It really just needs to be looked at again and his medications adjusted. HIs veterinarian must do an ear cytology (swab and look at what is in the ear in the microscope); I do hope this was done the first time. If rod-shaped bacteria was seen the first time, then it is possible this bacteria is resistant to medications and may need to be cultured at the lab to know what medication might clear this infection, or if the budget is tight your vet can prescribe a different medication with a different antibiotic (like using enrofloxacin, ofloaxin or tobramycin in the ear) instead of the gentamicin that is in most products. Or if this is still a bad yeast infection, then a different anti fungal medication is warranted.
Next, please please stop the tea tree oil and witch hazel; I find in ears these products make it so much worse and hurts. For now, you should use an ear cleanser such as one your vet can prescribe (like epiotic) or a diluted vinegar water solution if you cannot get a different commercial ear cleanser (1 part vinegar to 4 parts water). This will NOT clear the infection but may help remove the other stuff (witch hazel and tea tree oil) from the ear.
Second, for his new pain, you are absolutely correct this could be spinal pain (back or neck). Neck is very possible from shaking his head from the infection. This is not something that you want to try to manage over-the-counter. This requires an exam by his veterinarian and serious prescription medication to help him improve. The stool softener (hope it was a product for dogs; do not use people medications as they can worsen the situation) if it was a fiber-based tablet is okay. But please know that constipation is very rare in dogs and if present is a symptom of dehydration. So, we must figure out why he is dehydrated. I would also ensure he is not straining due to diarrhea (they can look the same). The pumpkin is fine. The best thing you can do is encourage him to eat and increase his water intake. Talk to your vet about medication like lactulose (which is prescription) if your vet really thinks he is constipated. And I always recommend lab work in a truly constipated dog to screen for liver/kidney disease or other problem that can lead to dehydration since, again, this is usually a symptom of profound dehydration.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.