Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

A few months ago my dog had an encounter with a frog or toad.

Customer Question
She was violently sick and...
A few months ago my dog had an encounter with a frog or toad. She was violently sick and had to be carried back to our caravan. After a few hours she seemed to be ok.
However since that she has been vomiting White foam and we have noticed her chattering her teeth. When we go for a walk she sometimes vomits this foam and then refuses to carry on walking. We have been to our vet who has done blood tests which came back normal and hasn't got a clue what is causing it. Is it likely she has been poisoned by this frog the like of which we haven't seen before. Please help as she is only 7 and we are very worried.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/3/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
It isn't, no. Signs such as hypersalivation and vomiting generally resolve within 1-2 hours (mouthing and dropping a live toad) and 24-36 hours (if toad has been swallowed and cardiovascular and/or neurologic signs develop). If blood work hasn't revealed anything untoward, scoping and biopsy of Mollie's gastrointestinal tract should be considered. Perhaps an ingested toad injured Mollie's GI tract or a GI disorder unrelated to her encounter has arisen. For now, it would be prudent to administer an over the counter antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) at a dose of 0.25 mg/lb twice daily in an attempt to offer Mollie some comfort.
Can you upload a copy of her test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.
Hi Jayne,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mollie. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian