Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog (sheltie) has been unstable on his feet and fairly lethargic

Customer Question
for a few months now...
My dog (sheltie) has been unstable on his feet and fairly lethargic for a few months now. He suffered from what was believed to have been a vistibular disease episode, but has never recovered. He is still very unstable/wobbly. He also suffers from high blood pressure and is on Almodipine and Benazeprine to help keep it under control. He is 14 years old. Any idea on what could be the continued cause of his instability and lethargy?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/2/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
The older my patient is when suffering a vestibular episode, the greater the risk of an incomplete recovery. This is usually evidenced by a persistent head tilt and ataxia ("drunken sailor"). If the vestibular episode were due to a central lesion (brain tumor, usually, at Jake's age) an incomplete recovery is the norm as opposed to his prognosis after either a peripheral (inner/middle ear) or idiopathic vestibular episode.
His lethargy may be related to a central or peripheral disorder but I'm more suspicious of the underlying problem causing his high blood pressure. Can you tell me, please, what has been discovered that's predisposing Jake to be hypertensive?
Hi Tom,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jake. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian