Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog may have eaten a small piece of marlin fly baite what…

Customer Question
My dog may have eaten...
My dog may have eaten a small piece of marlin fly baite what do I do
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/2/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long ago did he have this?
What is the active ingredient?
How much does he weigh?
Was it Golden Malrin?
Hi again,
I have not heard back from you but as time is ticking, I do want to leave some information for your return.
First, I have to note that Methomyl can be quite dangerous for our dogs. So, if he has had just a bit, we may be in a low risk situation. But if he did have quite a dose, then we'd need to be concerned about the possibility of adverse signs. Now in regards ***** ***** chemical, when dogs ingest this it will cause adverse signs within 30 minutes. Symptoms of methomyl exposure include GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss, drooling), but also quite onset tremors, seizures, collapse, and death.
Now with this being such a quick acting toxin, I would note that we’d not want to try to induce vomiting at home. If we did and he had enough to cause harm, we would run the risk of him aspirating his vomit into his lungs. Therefore, if you think he did have quite a bit, then it would be safer to have him to his vet urgently so that vomiting can be induced carefully or they can alternatively lavage/flush the toxin our of the stomach.
Otherwise, if you cannot get him seen to, then a safer home option with this would be to administer activated charcoal (How [email protected] http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/activated-charcoal-toxiban-liqui-char-uaa-gel/page1.aspx) to limit absorption of this chemical and limit adverse effects. Activated charcoal can be purchased over the counter at most pharmacies, but do ask for the high strength (grams not milligrams) version, as you will need to give 1-4 grams per pound of his weight every 8 hours. This can be mixed in food or syringe fed with water.
Overall, it is good to hear he didn't eat much of this, but without his weight and given the dangerous nature of this, I do have to advise you to err on the side of caution here. Therefore, do consider the above to avoid any risk of harm for your lad.
In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )