Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My schnauzer has been acting oddly lately and has been peeing

Customer Question

My schnauzer has been acting oddly lately and has been peeing in the house which she does not do. It seems like she has been drinking a lot of water lately too. What can I do to help her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.Sorry to hear Sophie is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...A. This may not be what you want to hear I know but there is very little you can hope to do for a dog which is drinking more than normal on a home remedy basis. While hopefully Sophie has something very minor this is actually a symptom which can sometimes be quite a cause for concern, and of course the urinating in the house can be linked to drinking excessively. B. What I will do though is to talk you through just some of the possible causes of excess drinking [ polydipsia ] that I know. This is the personal list I use when presented with a dog like yours, the chances are that the disease your dog is suffering from is here somewhere.1. Diabetes mellitus - sugar diabetes - easy diagnosis via blood test2. Diabetes insipidus - rare but does happen - catches vets out !3. Kidney problems - diagnosed by blood tests4. Chronic hepatitis - diagnosed via blood tests5. Cushings syndromeC. In this sort of situation the only advice I can give you is that you should have Sophie checked over by your vet sooner rather than later. As I have said there is rarely any scope for home remedies in this sort of situation, but very often a clinical examination combined with a simple blood test will lead to some form of diagnosis. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.