Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Just got a estimate 10 month old mix at dog shelter. She has…

Customer Question
Just got a estimate 10...
Just got a estimate 10 month old mix at dog shelter. She has not gone to the restroom or eaten since 1:00 that we know of, since that's when we first saw her. She threw up some yellow bile, twice, finally took some water and immediately threw up the water. She looks content on a pillow but I have two others that I want to keep safe, as well as this little one.
I'm not sure if she ate at the pound, they said she does not like cages ( which we don't use) and maybe too nervous to eat? She seems hungry, but is turning down dry food. Any suggestions? Thank you!
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/2/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
First, congratulations on your new addition! I hope you have many happy years together :)
I can give you some suggestions for tonight but it is fairly common for a dog to enter a new situation and be quite anxious and not eat/ drink right away, even have some gi upset as well (especially little dogs like Chi's).
- Take a walk with her. Get her out for at least 15 minutes on a leash walk. This opens the mind to the new experience and helps you both form a bond together. I would do this 2-3 times daily at first to help her mind move forward but also tire the mind and body as well as increasing her hunger and desire to drink
- Do not coddle her, allow her to investigate and come to you when she is ready. Coddling the nervous mind can tell her it's ok to be scared and can increase her anxiety
- Feed her small frequent meals of white rice and boiled chicken for 24-48 hours, picking up any portions remaining after 10 minutes. Start with 1 tsp hourly then increase the volume while reducing the frequency throughout the next few days. If the vomiting continues then it is time to have a veterinarian evaluate her. You can add a small amount of water to the little bits of food to keep her hydrated
I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both. Again congratulations !!!!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses. How did Chrissy do overnight? I would love an update when you are able.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!