Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Just came home and my Boxer ate a popcorn package with butter…

Customer Question
just came home and my...
just came home and my Boxer ate a popcorn package with butter on it. what should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/1/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Scarlett ate a popcorn package with butter. I have some questions for you.
Was this popped popcorn or the kernels?
How big was the package?
Did she eat packaging materials too? If yes, what were the materials?
How long ago did this occur?
How is Scarlett behaving? Any evidence of vomiting or feeling nauseous?
Does Scarlett have any long term health issues?
Does she tend to have a sensitive stomach?
Does she get people food routinely?
Thanks for your patience with my questions.
The popcorn was not popped. Not sure she ate the kernels I think she was after the butter.
She did not eat the package.
Did not eat the package.
I left at 9:30am today returned at 11:00 am.
Scarlett seams fine her normal hyper self. No vomiting or nauseous. She did burp.
No long term health issues.
Her stomach seams fine.
Sometimes.
Thank you
Thanks very much that is really helpful.
You are probably correct in that she was more interested in the fat than anything else.
Although there is probably as much as a couple tablespoons of butter in these packages, and that can lead to some nausea and loose stools, I would be more concerned that the packaging would compact and cause an obstruction. I am glad to hear that she didn't eat that. Even if she ate several kernals they should just pass through.
She's a pretty big, healthy girl that does get some table food so this won't be a complete shock to her system, that is fortunate. I don't think we need to induce vomiting.
To try and settle her stomach you can give either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach and reduce nausea. They can be given for a few days if necessary.
Then feed a homemade bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled white rice. Add 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, not pie filling, just pumpkin, to each meal for fiber, as fiber will help decrease irritation and push any kernals eaten through.
Later if she starts vomiting, has a tense painful belly or refuses to eat or runs a fever (more than 103F rectally) then that can signify pancreatitis and she should be seen by a veterinarian promptly. I don't think that will happen for her though given her size and her history.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Scarlett. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian