Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Sat. nite came home from work-found my dog covered in fleas-bites

Customer Question

Sat. nite came home from work-found my dog covered in fleas-bites on back & rear end-just had surgery on torn ligament in knee about 2 wks before-have been using Advantix for fleas-discovered I was 2 days late with dose-killed as many as could manually-rubbed in tea tree oil foam on raw places(is hot spot tx)-didn't put advantix on him till Sun. AM, before going to work, as he acted nauseated for hrs. after-even with doses of Pepcid and Reglan for dogs-finally gave dose of pepto-bismol.Got home last nite, brushed him again & even more fleas!-eating him up-got disparate -used another Advantix on his middle & hind quarters where most of fleas were-later whipped him down with towel, trying to remove some of Advantix, fearing I may have poisoned him with over dose-this AM is acting nauseated-but not actually vomited-WHAT SHOULD I DO
? Did I harm him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
When you put on the tea tree oil, how much did you use?
What strength? Was it intended for use on dogs?
How much does Jakey weigh? What size was the Advantix?
What signs of nausea are you seeing?
Was he able to lick any of the 2nd dose of Advantix?
Any tremors, shaking, or seizures?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Was product for dogs, VET'S BEST "Hot Spot Tx." with Tee Tree Oil(no concentration given), Chamomile & Aloe Vera. Soak area with bites with the foam, rubbed in. Jake weighs between 32-35#. Used AdvantixII for lg. dogs(21-55#). Night of application -no way to lick; next day, while at work,yes could lick. No seizures, tremors or shaking. Nite of application of Tee Tree Oil-was nauseated and vomited for some time. After that, coughing & gagging-no vomiting. Has been on Meloxicame for dogs (NSAID for dogs) since surgery-could this be upsetting stomach? -gave with food QD. Think will stop giving it-knee/leg getting along fine.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you,
I am glad to hear that it was a dog specific product, since pure tea tree oil can cause GI upset and damage the liver.
Anyway, that worry aside, we can focus on the Advantix situation. Now I have reviewed the data sheet and GI upset +/- skin irritations are the main concern for multiple applications. If you didn't see him drooling, then I'd not be overly worried that he did lick it. And as long as we are not seeing those additional neurological signs, we'd be less worried about a severe toxicity from this.
Now turning out attention to the last issue, the Meloxicam. These NSAIDs are good for pain relief but they can cause GI upset themselves. In fact, they can lower stomach mucus production leaving the stomach more vulnerable to the stomach acid. So, if we have nausea in a dog on NSAIDs, then we'd want to stop them immediately and consider continuing the antacids every 8-12 hours. As well, since stomach ulcers can be a risk with these medication, we'd want to monitor for any signs of appetite loss, vomiting with coffee ground or blood type material, or black stools.
Finally, if you are seeing adult fleas on him, we need to focus on treating the environment too. If you do so, do make sure to use a house treatment that contains IGR. That way you can kill adult fleas but prevent their younger generations from developing and attacking him in a new wave.
Overall, it sounds like your lad has just been bombarded with a lot of things at once. The Advantix dose is high enough that it could cause GI upset, but so could the Meloxicam. And if he wasn't soothed with your anti-nausea treatments, I would advise stopping the NSAID and offering a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled egg). If he settles, then we know the NSAID is our culprit. And in that case, we'd want to discontinue the medication all together or speak to his vet about a better alternative for his sensitive stomach.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Deta Perry,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jakey. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He's good. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome and thank you for the update,
I am glad to hear that Jakey is well and had no ill effects.
All the best, *****
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)