Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Border Collie is dying and it's Sunday. My vet will be able…

Customer Question
My Border Collie is dying...
My Border Collie is dying and it's Sunday. My vet will be able to come in the morning to help him over, but in the meantime, he has not eaten since Friday and the only water he's had is a little dropperful every few hours that I've squirted into his mouth. He's quiet, but in pain. I've given him rimadyl and that helps, but not enough. I just crushed up half of a 5mg oxycodone (no tylenol or other ingredients in it) and mixed it with his rimadyl dose. He's vomited bile a couple times today and his back legs collapse after about ten steps. He keeps wanting to go outside, but our yard is big and I can't carry him if he can't walk. I just want to keep him quiet and take some of the pain away until the morning.He weighs about 30lbs (down from 60). If the 2.5 mg doesn't keep him comfortable, can I give him the other half?
Thanks for any advice you can give.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/1/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
I am so sorry I was not online when you asked your question last night. I just came online this morning and saw it.
I hope the oxycodone helped. My sincere sympathy for his dying.
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian