Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 12 yo male dog is panting, squatting to urinate, won't eat…

Customer Question
My 12 yo male dog...
My 12 yo male dog is panting, squatting to urinate, won't eat or drink and shaky in hind legs. Should I bring him to emergency vet?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/1/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
So sorry to hear that your Wheaten is showing these signs this evening. I am terribly concerned when a male dog is squatting or posturing to urinate without success because it can be a simple urinary tract infection which is not an emergency but should be addressed within 24 hours or it can be a urinary tract obstruction from a stone or tumor and this becomes more of a true emergency. Without being able to urinate, the bladder begins to fill without release and can therefore back up to the point that the bladder overfills and has nowhere to empty and can rupture.
In order to relieve a dog with an obstruction, the veterinary clinic will first palpate to see if this is the case and then place a urinary catheter to relieve the pressure. Unfortunately the only way to tell the difference is for a veterinarian to palpate his bladder because if tried at home it can result in rupturing the bladder which is the worst case scenario.
So I would advise a veterinary exam this evening to rule out an obstruction and hopefully give him some relief sooner rather than later.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I am on-line another 30 minutes tonight to assist you both
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
He did successfully urinate but bysquatting instead of his usual leg lift
OK good, was it a normal stream or dribbling?
If he is just dribbling I would still consider this an emergency but if he has a good stream then there is a less concern for his well being with this information.
Besides the straining to urinate with little production, other causes to recommend a veterinary er
- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration
- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it
- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable
- Swollen abdomen
- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest
- Temperature <99 or <103.5
- No interest in food for 24+ hours
- No urination for 12+ hours
- Return of the trembling without resolution for more than an hour
- Productive coughing
- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress
Unfortunately I have to sign off for the evening in a minute but wanted to ensure you had the information necessary to determine whether he should be seen tonight or if it is alright to wait until morning.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian