Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 5lb dog is shaking and has deep breathing, she did drink…

Customer Question
hi, my 5lb dog is...
hi, my 5lb dog is shaking and has deep breathing, she did drink water, but seems very weak.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
will I get an answer today?
5/31/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. How is Luna by now? Sounds like she may have had a seizure. Or, has she had the symptoms for several hours?
She seems lethargic, symptoms came suddenly, not hours, maybe in the last hour or so, doesn't have energy as she normally is, shaking is on and off, but I know she doesn't feel good, do you think I should take her to the clinic or can I do something now.
I see that my post was simultaneous with your last post, so hopefully you've gotten mine.
if she had a seizure, is this a one time occurrence or could there be some underlying problem?
Because this has gone on for quite awhile, it is probably not a seizure. Shaking can indicate fear, but is most like from pain. Back pain really is the most common when there are no other symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea.
It would be the best to seek veterinary care today since she does seem quite uncomfortable. If it is her back, they will be able to give you a good pain reliever and probably a muscle relaxant. If another organ system is involved then they would be starting sooner to take care of her problem.
Does she have any other symptoms at all? Is she eating normally. . .if you offer a treat now will she take it?
She just seems to want to stay in her corner on the couch, not like her. the fact that she doesn't have the strength to jump on the couch makes me wander. It's probably best to take her to the clinic. Thank you so much.
Good choice. Actually, one of the hallmark signs of back problems is the the unwillingness to jump up onto furniture.
I'd greatly appreciate knowing what if found, and I hope it is nothing more than back pain.
Good luck,
Dr. Barbara
thank you
I'll be looking for your next post to hear what was found with Luna. Even after a rating (always appreciated!), this thread stays open for quite awhile, so we will be able to continue our communication.
"Talk" with you later,
Dr. Barbara
At the emergency care they did a blood test and found she has an infection, couldn't pin point where, gave her antibiotics, so they suggested I take her to her vet today for an ultrasound. She is ok but still looks very quite and weak.Thanks
Thanks for letting me know.
I hope that Luna is on her way to recovery after receiving the antibiotics. Just like with human infants, it is difficult to discern sometimes without diagnostics exactly what is going on. . .and therefore scary.
I'd love to hear today how she is doing and if she still needs more diagnostics, what is found.
Good luck today,
Dr. Barbara

I'm just following up on our conversation about Luna. How is everything going?

Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian