Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is 10 years old, he has lost weight and is not eating.

Customer Question
He is drinking water, but...
My dog is 10 years old, he has lost weight and is not eating. He is drinking water, but he vomits overtime he drinks. I have given him some gatorade through a a small syringe. what can I do for him. He is lethargic and his eyes are glassy.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/31/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today and provide you with some guidance. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is he drinking more than usual?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
We have been gone for a week from our house so I am not sure how long he has been this way. The person feeding says that he has seemed fine. We got home last name that and he could hardly walk.
1- Is he drinking more than usual?
2- Any pre existing medical conditions?
3- Did he loose weight since you were gone?
He is drinking a little more than usual and There are not any pre-existing conditions. Yes he has lost weight since we have been gone
1- Any other symptoms?
2- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
3- Can you take his rectal temperature?
His gums are pale pink and he is very cold when you touch him.
His nose is cold and dry. I need to see if I have a rectal thermometer.how long do I need to leave the thermometer in
100 degrees
He has a temp of 100 degrees
Thank you, ***** ***** is normal (99.5-102.5 F).
Friend, the weight loss you are seeing in Hunter could be the result of not eating and he may have an underlying medical problem that is contributing to the weight loss. The big question is: Why is he drinking more than usual? You see, when a dog drinks more water than usual it is a sign an underlying medical problem. There are many possible causes. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: An active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes. Any of the above condition can also cause him to vomit and loose weight.
To determine which of the above is the underlying cause your family veterinarian will need to do some blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by clinical and diagnostic findings. Highly recommend to have him checked by family veterinarian first thing in the morning. In the meantime, this is what you can do:
1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about Hunter. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian