Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog ate wooden matches. Are they poisonous?

Customer Question
my dog ate wooden matches. Are they poisonous?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/31/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
Fortunately, while matches can be toxic to dogs, a few will not cause harm. If he had consumed a whole book of matches, you may have to take additional precautions.
With any foreign substance, you may experience a slight upset stomach. Again, a few matches for a healthy dog that is medium or large breed should not result in side effects. You can as a precaution add rice or canned pumpkin (1 Tbsp) to each meal for the next 24-48 hours to prevent subsequent diarrhea that may occur to a sensitive stomach. Remember to offer plenty of fresh water. Notify your vet if you notice any unusual symptoms such as lethargy, vomiting, disorientation, etc.
If your dog ingested a book of matches and is a smaller or medium dog then this could potentially be more of a concern of an obstruction. If this is the case and it occurred in the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.
I hope this information is helpful but please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tatter. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian