Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have almost two year old Bichon Frise . Last night he vomited…

Customer Question
I have almost two year...
I have almost two year old Bichon Frise . Last night he vomited four (possibly 5) times. He is not interested in food or drink at all. Even people food, which he hardly ever gets. I asked one vet this morning what to do, and he said to let his digestive track rest for 8-10 hours. I did let him know we opened a new bag of dog food (same brand and type as the old one) but other than that he has eating nothing out of the ordinary. I planned to do that, but his symptoms seem to have gotten worse. He is extremely lethargic. He seems uncomfortable (possibly in pain) when you pick him up. The little he did stand this morning his tail was dropping and not raised over his back like normal. I gave him a bath as he had laid in some of his vomit. Normally, this can be a bit of a challenge as he likes to play in the bath. he just stood and let me do it. He went to lay down and hasn't moved in over two hours. He barely open his eyes when we come to pet him. This is not like him at all. He is usually a very active dog. Our vet does have an emergency number to call on Sundays, but I don't want to overreact if this isn't an emergency. It's just that he has gotten worse as the day has gone on.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/31/2015
Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 3 years ago
brisadog
Hi, I can help you with your question today.
From your description, it seems that he has something more serious than typical gastroenteritis. I'm worried about the possibility of pancreatitis or even a foreign body obstruction.
I do not think you are over-reacting. Extreme lethargy after multiple episodes of vomiting is definitely a red flag. I do think it is appropriate to call the emergency number to have him evaluated as soon as possible. I would start with a physical exam and x-ray of his abdomen.
Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.
brisadog
brisadog
brisadog