Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Can you give puppy gravol. My puppy ate a part of a pork tail…

Customer Question
can you give puppy gravol...
can you give puppy gravol. My puppy ate a part of a pork tail bone and is now being sick.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/31/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

When did he eat this bone?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Has he been passing stool normally? Any diarrhea, black stools, or straining?

He ate the bone last night and he isn't keeping anything down doesn't want treats.Is restless He has had a bowel movement and it was normal.

.

Thank you Lidia,

First, I have to say that I am quite concerned about lad. Bones can be very dangerous when ingested since they can damage, perforate, or obstruct the gut. We can even see bone shards get stuck in the colon wall which cause stabbing pains every time they try to pass feces. Therefore, if he cannot keep anything down (a sign of possible blockage) or has any pain, I have to say it'd be ideal and safest to have him examined +/- xrayed at this stage. If the bone is stuck, surgical removal may be required.

Otherwise, if he is not sore, then there are some home treatments you can try to see if you can settle his stomach. To start, you can consider trying the Gravol. When used in dogs, we tend to give 2-4 milligrams per pound of body weight. This can be repeated every 8 hours.

If he can settle and stop vomiting with this, you can then try some support to get the bone moving. Of course, while doing so monitor closely for any red flags of obstruction and GI damage (ie restlessness, lethargy, continued vomiting +/- blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood)). If you see these, then having him seen would be best so that blockages can be ruled out or addressed.

In regards ***** ***** care, we'd want to start him on a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, or cottage cheese). These will be easier to digest and help with his GI upset. Whichever you choose, you can add a few milliliters of a GI lubricants (ie Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil) and/or fiber supplement (ie spoonful of tinned pumpkin, all bran, etc) to help push the bone through her GI.

Overall, your lad's signs are quite worrying here of obstruction. Therefore, you can try the above but do monitor him closely. If he doesn't settle, has severe pain, or has any of these others signs; then having him examined +/- xrayed would be ideal so you can see what the bone is doing and therefore know the best means of addressing it for your lad.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian