Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog will not eat. Drinking small amounts of water. The dog…

Customer Question
Dog will not eat. Drinking...
Dog will not eat. Drinking small amounts of water. The dog seems to be totally lifeless. She has not eaten a meal in about three days. What should I try to get her to eat.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/31/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry to learn Noel is not feeling well. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today and provide you with some guidance. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
2- Did she get into anything?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- Any other symptoms?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
No vomiting . No. No. No. Has not eaten any food just treats for several days.
1- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
2- Can you take her rectal temperature?
Gums are pink.
No
Dr. Peter should I be worried or take her to her vet. On Monday
Friend, when a dog stops eating it is an indication of an underlying medical problem. The fact that she is lifeless further supports a medical problem. In order to get her to eat we need to figure out what is wrong with her. On history alone it will be difficult for me to determine what exactly is the underlying cause without a hands on examination and testing. But, common causes are: Infections, ingestion of a foreign body, systemic diseases, etc. to name a few causes. Once underlying problem is treated and corrected she will begin to eat.
I would strongly recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian. In the meantime offer her a bland diet of boiled rice with boiled boneless chicken or ground beef. If possible blend the food and force feed her small amounts with a dropper or turkey baster 4-6 times a day.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian