Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My three year old lab had a uti one and a half months ago.

Customer Question
She was treated by our...
my three year old lab had a uti one and a half months ago. She was treated by our vet with a round of antibiotics, and was fine. Until tonight (Saturday midnight). She is panting hard, restless. Can't sleep. Can I give her 500mg Cephalexin? She weighs 73lbs.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/31/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Have you seen any urinary signs since this started?
Straining to urinate, passing small volumes of urine, any blood in her urine?
Are her gums pink or pale/white?
Since you noted that she is breathing heavy, can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?
If she isn't showing urinary signs, has she shown any other (ie bloating, vomiting, diarrhea, not being keen to eat, belly discomfort)?
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian