Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My 10 month old cavashon went yesterday and since

Customer Question

My 10 month old cavashon went for grooming yesterday and since has not been herself! We thought he was showing off at first but then latter yesterday evening he started with the runs and vomiting. He has vomited again this morning (bile) and still has the runs, it appears that when he urinates it hurts and he is cleaning his penis all the time. Any help would be appreciated
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your young 10 month old Cavashon who has developed vomiting and diarrhea around 24 hours ago. It definitely sounds as though he is not feeling very well and the fact he has been vomiting indicates he probably has some abdominal discomfort as well. There are quite a number of things that could be going on here from an acute gastroenteritis (from getting into the trash for example), a toxicity or something like an obstruction (partial or complete within his bowel). If he has had diarrhoea and vomiting for over 10 - 12 hours now and he hasns't had much to eat or drink, then I would definitely encourage you to get Arthur examined at your local Vet or emergency vet today if you can.
For now, please with hold Arthur's food until later this evening, but continue to encourage him to drink plenty of fresh water. If he won't drink, or can't keep water down, the worry is that he will quickly become dehydrated. If this is the case, then definitely get him seen by your local vet in the next hour or two if you can. Please keep a close eye on your dog's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate today as follows:
Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of the gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get your dog to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.
Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.
Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting today, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.
Keep Arthur quiet today, with hold his food until tonight, and then start him on a bland diet. For this, cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice is ideal. If you can get him seen by your local vet today, please do. It is always better to follow up on these symptoms asap in young dogs.
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
I hope Arthur is doing a bit better by now. It would be great to get an update on his progress when you get a chance.
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sian,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Arthur. How is everything going?

Pet Doc