Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Just adopted a dog from the pound weve had her days she

Customer Question
just adopted a dog from...
just adopted a dog from the pound weve had her for 2 days she wont stop panting we think she is dehydrated
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/31/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your new Lab girl Jade who you adopted from the pound on a couple of days ago. This ongoing panting issue really is a bit of a concern. There are a number of potential causes for this ongoing panting including anything from being too hot, to being anxious/stressed, to having a primary cardiorespiratory issue. The fact you think she seems dehydrated is also a real concern. Hopefully she is eating and drinking as per normal, and continue to give her plenty of fresh drinking water as you have been.
If your girl seems to be having any sort of breathing difficulty, or if she is restless and seems stressed, it would definitely be worth getting her seen by your local veterinarian or ER vet tonight if you can. Because there is a chance that this girl has an underlying respiratory issue here, it is definitely going to be better to play it safe and have her checked over. A respiratory issue in Jade's case could be due to anything from an infection, to lung or heartworm, to a primary heart issue.
The dehydration, or excessive thirst, could be due to all the panting as dogs lose a lot of moisture this way. There could also potentially be an underlying issue that is causing excessive drinking (if that is the case here).
For now, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):
Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.
Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.
Respiratory Rate - if she is seems to be breathing rapidly throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet. If the panting is continuous or it seems as though Jade has any sort of breathing issue, then you really should try and get her seen tonight if you can.
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Hi again,
I hope you managed to follow up on the above with your vet? I hope Jade is on the mend.
If you could give me an update when you get a chance, that would be much appreciated.
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian