Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

How to stop dog toenail from bleeding

Customer Question
how to stop dog toenail from bleeding
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/30/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your young Yorkie Pom girl who has a bleeding toenail. I assume this is from the nail being trimmed too short? If, not and she has torn the nail, then you are best to see you local vet or ER vet now to have this dealt with.
The first thing to realize is that although the blood from a nail that has been trimmed too short may look dramatic, it is only a very small vessel responsible for this - so nothing drastic is going to happen here.
As vets, we typically use a silver nitrate pen or a special powder to apply to the end of the nail and this works nicely to stop the bleeding permanently. At home, you can try flour or cornstarch and this works well, although you will have to stop Prissy from licking at this, otherwise she will dislodge the clot and you will be back to square 1! The best tip is to put some flour or cornstarch on the end of your finger and to then push this hard in to the end of the nail for 30 - 40 seconds if she will let you (be careful she doesn't bite you). If you have an elizabethan collar (e collar) at home, then this would help to stop her from licking at the paw.
If the bleeding continues despite this, or if she has in fact torn her nail, then play it safe and have her seen by your local vet now if you can. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Hi Donnie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Prissy. How is everything going?

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian