Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is scratching like crazy few hours, very anxious tooSh…

Customer Question
My dog is scratching like...
My dog is scratching like crazy for last few hours, very anxious too
She went to vet today for unrelated issue, got flea & tick prevent meds and gave that to her - she takes hydroxyzine daily for allergies but today this has been extreme this time with itching
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Can I give her childrens benedryl although she has had hydroxyzine 2 times within last 24 hours?
5/30/2015
Dog Veterinarian: VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech replied 3 years ago
VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Hi there! My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your question about your dog. Sorry it has taken someone so long to get back with you, did you still need assistance with your question?
Yes, I would like an answer to the question please.
About Benadryl and hydrox
Certainly! Give me just a moment to type up your answer!
Benadryl and hydroxyzine are safe to use together, and Benadryl is something we use in veterinary medicine to help curb itching from skin conditions. Benadryl is typically dosed at 1 milligram per pound of body weight, and given every 8-12 hours to help control the symptoms of allergies.
I also wanted to address the flea preventative. There are some active ingredients in flea preventatives that can cause dogs to experience a tingling sensation at the site of application. This will cause them to grow very agitated and scratch and rub themselves a lot.
It's a sensation as opposed to skin irritation, so you may not see any redness at the site where a flea product is applied. But this sensation can last up to 48 hours if a dog is sensitive to the flea and tick ingredients.
Since this could be a possibility, you might try placing a cold compress on the area where you applied the medication for five minutes at a time to help ease the tingling. Benadryl can often help with this issue. If she needs a little bit more relief, applying Vitamin E oil to the site can help to soothe that tingling sensation for a short period of time.
It's possible that bathing her with liquid dish soap like Dawn or palmolive may help to ease the sensation, but it will also remove the flea and tick formula as well. If you think the flea formula is causing discomfort, it might be something you want to remove and try a different flea and tick formula with different active ingredients.
Depending on how many fleas she may have had, sometimes fleas "dance" when they die after a flea formula is applied. This can also cause them to itch all over, leading to scratching and rubbing. An oral medication like Capstar might help to kill the fleas on her now if she has a heavy flea burden that's causing them to wiggle and make her itchy. The Benadryl may help with that situation a bit, too.
Please feel free to get back with me if you have any further questions or concerns!
I forgot to mention plain Benadryl! Nothing with a decongestant in it! :)