Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My female 13 yr old cockapoo in the last 4 hours has started…

Customer Question
My female 13 yr old...
My female 13 yr old cockapoo in the last 4 hours has started urinating (or trying to) six or Eight times every 10-15 minutes. She does show blood in the urine. Is this cause for an ER tonight or can this wait til in the morning. She is drinking and eating and does not seem to be in pain.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/30/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your 13 year old Cockapoo who has been straining to urinate for the last 4 hours or so. It definitely sounds as though your girl may have a urinary tract infection - however these symptoms could also be caused by a systemic problem or other bladder related problem. It could even be that your girl has crystals and/or stones in her bladder that are potentially causing a blockage. If she is straining very frequently (as you say) and there is little to no urine being produced, then it is better to play it safe and have her seen tonight.
For now, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):
Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.
Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.
Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be breathing rapidly throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.
The blood in her urine is typically a sign of bladder inflammation, and the most common issue for urinary symptoms in an old dogs is a urinary tract infection (UTI). We do have to consider urinary stones, or even another bladder issue in an older dog however. If she is really straining and frequently so, then you are definitely best to get her seen by your local ER vet. Here your vet can carry out a full exam, test your girl's urine, and possibly carry out further diagnostics like xrays or blood tests.
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Hi again,
I hope your Cockapoo's urinary issue has settled, and that you went along to your ER vet that evening if she continued to strain/urinate frequently?
It would be great to get an update if you get a chance.
Kind Regards,
Dr E

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc