Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 6 month old cocker spaniel puppy chewed up a bath and body…

Customer Question
My 6 month old cocker...
My 6 month old cocker spaniel puppy chewed up a bath and body works scent portable. Is this poisonous?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/30/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
Unfortunately I have looked diligently on information regarding ingredients of this product and any toxicity warning without success.
My recommendations are going to be to monitor for any signs of issues with Annabelle tonight including vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, increased anxiety/ pacing, reduced appetite, panting, eating grass or licking lips (signs of nausea) and if seen please have her seen by a veterinary er
I would give her a meal of white rice and boiled chicken to help bulk up the portable and move it through, as long as she didn't actually eat the container which is a foreign body concern then hopefully she will not have any ill effects but again without definitively knowing the ingredients I cannot say for certain there are not any concerns.
Your other option is to contact poison control which might have more information for you. Sometimes non published information will be available to them but there is a fee:
http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com
My inclination is that this is going to cause no issues since you were proactive in removing the material from her as quickly as you were able.
If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can elect to induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting. But if this occurred more than an hour ago it likely has already left the stomach and is being digested.
I hope this information is helpful to you but please let me know anything else I can do for you both. I am on-line another 15 minutes to assist you both tonight
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Good morning, I wanted to check in on you and Annabelle. How did she do last night after the ingestion of the scent portable? I would love an update when you are able.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian