Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is acting strange. he seems anxious and won't fully…

Customer Question
my dog is acting strange...
my dog is acting strange. he seems anxious and won't fully relax when he lays down...he's keeping his head up. every time i move just a little, he's up with me wagging his tail, panting, ears down. i've let him out a few times and he's seemed to be passing urine and feces fine. when i get up to let him out, he gets really excited but won't go off the deck once i close the door. once i went out with him, he got even more excited. i got him down into the grass and off the deck, but he stuck right by my side.
he had a teeth cleaning last sunday, during which they removed a mass from his eyelid that the vet assured me was totally normal. he hardly ate for a day or so after the surgery, and is still eating much less than usual, and will only have a few bites at a time. seems to be drinking normally.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
he has finally put his head down, but doesn't seem fully relaxed...it took probably 15 minutes for him to finally put it down. i'm afraid to move again and start this all over again...
5/30/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. It is unusual for a dog to not be eating normally this many days after a teeth cleaning unless there were teeth removed. Did your vet mention this?
Has Harry had any vomiting or diarrhea? Is he willing to eat treats and will he do so for us now?
No teeth were removed. He hasn't vomited and had diarrhea a day or so after the cleaning, but his stool has been normal all day. He will definitely still eat treats, I actually just gave him one. I gave him half of the doggie NSAID the vet had prescribed at the same time, which is the first he's had since maybe Tuesday evening.
Thanks for your response. I asked about the treats to help rule out any bloat. . .and it sounds like he is fine that way.
How long ago did he have the NSAID? It takes about 15-20 minutes for these to kick in and bring some pain relief if this is what he needs.
Has Harry been acting this way all week. . .not wanting to let you out of his sight?
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian