Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is not eating or drinking anything and is very shaky…

Customer Question
My dog is not eating...
My dog is not eating or drinking anything and is very shaky and weak, i found a dead mouse in his bowl of water. Could that be the cause and do you know what i can give him?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/30/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
I am sorry that I am not set up to take phone calls. I will opt out so other experts can chime in if they are able.
Please don't reply as this will send the question back to me.
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. I'm sorry to just now hear about Hector Guadado. I will put you in for a phone call, but we could also continue here if you like. Just let me know. . .
Dr. Barbara
We can continue her
We can can tinue here
Thanks for your response. Finding a dead mouse could indicate that there is rat poison around. Have you put out any, or do you know of any around where Hector Guardado may have eaten some?
Does Hector have any symptoms of vomiting or diarrhea? For how long has he been ill and not eating or drinking?
He has not been eating all day today. I have two dogs and they used to play a lot but he dont want to play or do anything he just want to be sit. And he does not have sympyoms of vomiting or diarrhea.
Now that i remember i saw him vomit yestuday but just a lil bit
Poor little guy! Let's make sure that this isn't an emergency for tonight. Please look at his gums and press on them. They should start out pink and moist, and when you press on them they will blanch. The pink color should return in 3 seconds or less.
Also, is he breathing normally?
When you say "he just want to be sit" do you mean he can't or won't lay down?
Yes he can lay down. He dont want to move from one spot. His gums are pink and when i press on them they strat turning kind of white and when i let go they turn back pink right away. And yes he is breathing normal
Good to hear back from you. The parameters I had you check sound good. Doesn't mean he is not ill with something, but at least not in and emergency situation. . .yet!
How is Hector doing this morning?
He is a little better than yesterday but sill dont want to eat or drink.
Doesn't drink any water?
What have you offered him to eat?
Would you be able to take his temperature rectally?
He just vomited something like yellow water. I gave him dog food and i also tried chicken and he just smells it. And he dosnt drink water at all .
He is a little guy and is still vomiting. Withholding food and water is the only home treatment really.
Whatever the cause of his vomiting, it has gone on too long to be safe for him. He is dehydrating and getting into a situation where his vital serum electrolytes are becoming unbalanced. He needs to have some parenteral support (other than by mouth), and he should be diagnosed so that he can be treated specifically.
So i the vet is the next thing i can do?
Definitely! Wish I could diagnose and treat him here, but not possible!
Your vet will be able to do a thorough physical exam and give him fluid support. He will probably also recommend a blood profile to determine if all of his organs are functioning normally, or if one system is in trouble. From as painful as he sounded last PM. . .shaking. . .I am very suspicious of pancreatitis.
I will be here to answer any questions, but I'd get him seen today if you can.
There is a credit card called Care Credit. Many vets offer this. It is possible to get approved right away, and if money is an issue (who doesn't have this problem?), you'll have the funds to get what Hector needs. Payments are monthly, and the first 6 months are generally interest free.
Hope this helps, and please keep me updated with his diagnosis and progress. Even after a rating, this thread stays open for quite awhile, so we will be able to continue to communicate.
Best of luck to you and little Hector Guardado,
Dr. Barbara